Warbirds - Catalina #2
The Patrol Bomber ZK-PBY Catalina aircraft was built in March 1944 by Canadian Vickers. Previously registration Z-CAT, CF-JCV. It was used by the Royal Canadian Airforce from 1944-1947, then used as a Airline, Freighter from 1955-1984, then for Tourist Safaris along the Nile 1990-1993. It was also used in TV documentaries across several continents before arriving in New Zealand in 1995. The Royal New Zealand Air Force operated 56 of these aircraft between 1943 to 1953 with a mix of non-amphibious Consolidated and Boeing built aircraft. The Catalina's operated with number 5 and 6 squadron, based out of Hobsonville, Auckland.